Saturday, March 15, 2008

Match It For Pratchett

Terry Pratchett fans have probably heard that he has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease. Earlier this week he donated $1,000,000.00 to aid in research related to Alzheimer's Disease. A movement has started to get his fans to donate what they can so they (we) can collectively match Mr. Pratchett's donation.

Match It For Pratchett has been set up as a clearinghouse for information on the movement.

If you're on Facebook, Match It For Pratchett.

The US and UK* URLs are:

UK: http://www.alzheimers-research.org.uk/

US: http://www.alz.org/index.asp

Terry Pratchett has brought a huge amount of joy to my life, and I can say with pride that the Fairbanks area has at least twenty more Pratchett fans because of my efforts. I've worked in research, I know there are no quick fixes or easy answers. Even small advances are expensive. Skilled researchers are not cheap, nor is good science. If you have a buck or two to spare, please consider donating to the cause. John and I will be.




*What about Canada? I mean, it's a perfectly good country with a fine scientific history and heritage? Shouldn't the Canadians be included? Or could it be that I couldn't resist putting in a footnote on a Pratchett related post?

No comments: